From time to time, champion shooter Jerry Miculek dresses like Captain America. Here are 15 more things you might not know about him.
1. Jerry Charles Miculek Jr. was born in Texas on September 7, 1954.
2. He was named after his father, even though he was the third son in the family, because he was born on his father’s birthday.
3. He grew up in Louisiana, where he spent much of his childhood shooting at the local dump.
4. Aside from his phenomenal shooting ability, Jerry’s also an expert gunsmith.
5. Before becoming a professional shooter, Jerry worked as a millwright for 15 years.
6. Miculek is an expert with rifles, shotguns, and handguns, having won contests and set records with all of them.
7. Jerry has won over 100 national and world shooting titles.
8. He currently holds 19 world records.
9. He is married to Kay Clark Miculek, who’s also no slouch with a gun.
10. Jerry and Kay have a daughter named Lena, who is also a champion shooter. According to her, here are a few things most people don’t know about her dad:
…he’s addicted to chocolate and eats jelly with a spoon. He will even drink chocolate syrup. He was raised in a swamp yet can’t float to save his life. All he does is sink. I’m thinking it might be all the lead… We normally end up at a chinese buffet or Wendy’s every time we go out to eat. I think Wendy’s needs to sponsor him! Also he likes cats.
11. He’s currently sponsored by Smith and Wesson.
12. A few years ago, Miculek fielded questions from all over the world in this Reddit AMA thread.
13. Along with his wife, daughter, brother-in-law, and son-in-law, Jerry appeared on two seasons of the Outdoor Channel’s “Shootout Lane.”
14. He’s considered by many to be the greatest shooter of all time. It’s hard to disagree.
15. He’s still got it. On January 16, 2017, Miculek kicked off the SHOT show’s industry day by breaking yet another record. This time he fired 10 shots into three targets in 1.59 seconds using a Smith and Wesson M&P 15t from a range of 15 feet.
Oh, by the way, here’s that Captain America incident.
You don’t have to shoot like Jerry Miculek to have a little fun at the range, but every moment spent there will get you closer to this amazing shooter’s level of ability. Who knows? Maybe you’ll be the one to take over the title of the greatest shooter of all time.