"I honestly thought a rattlesnake bite wasn't that big of a deal."
Rattlesnake bites are going to inevitably happen, especially down south. You can never be too sure of where you're sticking your hands, as the rattling ruffians can be hiding just about anywhere.
However, when people do find themselves with a rattlesnake bite, they generally slip into an all-out panic. But these guys from Franklin, Tennessee, are much different.
Somehow, even when he thought he was going to lose his finger, Austin McGee never got too excited, nor did his friend Noah Hammer.
"It was just kind of a freak accident," McGee told WZTV in an interview. "I honestly thought a rattlesnake bite wasn't that big of a deal."
Austin was bit by a baby rattlesnake on the finger a few weeks ago. We?re so glad he gets to keep his finger. Here?s the results of what happened!!
The two were working out in the woods when McGee reached down to pick up some metal lying on the ground. Hammer said he heard a "faint rattle sound" and assumed it was just a bug.
Then, McGee felt a bite from what doctors believe was a baby timber rattlesnake.
"It didn't hurt real bad," McGee said. "It's just like getting stung."
His finger would get worse over the following days, however, leading McGee to believe he'd likely lose his finger.
"It progressively kept getting worse and then they popped it and it went back down and then the skin around it kept coming off," he said. "It was like a throbbing, it was beating with my heart every time."
Fortunately, doctors say he should be able to make a full recovery, but the Tennessee boys won't take rattlesnakes so lightly going forward.
"Just watch out, watch your step and don't pick stuff up unless you kick around it and look around it," Hammer said.
Enjoy the outdoors?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.