This map shows the 101 counties in the USA where the highest percentage of residents keep guns in their homes.
Note: Post originally published in May, 2018.
The most heavily armed county in the US is (drum roll, please)... Stewart County, Tennessee.
That's based on an a count of the "highest percentage of residents that keep firearms around their homes," according to CityData.com in 2016.
Second place goes to the Fairbanks Borough of North Star, Alaska, and third is Nez Perce County, Idaho. Were those the American counties you would have assumed had the highest percentage?
City-Data.com compiled the list (We should note there's no source posted for the city-data list) and created the map. It was then spread by a reddit user.
Texas, one of the most gun friendly states in America, surprisingly does not have one of the top 20 most armed counties. The counties that are home to San Antonio and Ft. Worth rank 94 and 95, respectively.
Here are the top 20 most armed counties:
1. Stewart County, TN (Indian Mound-Bumpus Mills, Cumberland City-Carlisle, Dover) (pop. 12,370) 64.0%
2. Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK (Fairbanks, Badger, College) (pop. 82,840) 59.1%
3. Nez Perce County, ID (Lewiston, Lapwai, Leland) (pop. 37,410) 59.0%
4. Natrona County, WY (Casper, Hells Half Acre, Mills) (pop. 66,533) 56.9%
5. Summit County, UT (Park City, Summit Park, Snyderville) (pop. 29,736) 53.0%
6. Rapides Parish, LA (Alexandria, Pineville, Ball) (pop. 126,337) 52.8%
7. Orange County, VT (Randolph, Williamstown, Thetford) (pop. 28,226) 52.6%
8. Teller County, CO (Divide, Woodland Park, Cripple Creek) (pop. 20,555) 52.3%
9. Canyon County, ID (Nampa, Caldwell, Huston) (pop. 131,441) 51.4%
10. Tooele County, UT (Tooele, Grantsville, Erda) (pop. 40,735) 51.3%
11. Aiken County, SC (Aiken, North Augusta, Beech Island) (pop. 142,552) 50.0%
12. Laramie County, WY (Cheyenne, Ranchettes, Warren AFB) (pop. 81,607) 49.9%
13. Pennington County, SD (Rapid City, Rapid Valley, Box Elder) (pop. 88,565) 49.4%
14. Rutland County, VT (Rutland, Castleton, Pittsford) (pop. 63,400) 49.1%
15. Yellowstone County, MT (Billings, South Yellowstone, Laurel) (pop. 129,352) 48.7%
16. Weber County, UT (Ogden, Roy, North Ogden) (pop. 196,533) 48.6%
17. Franklin County, VT (St. Albans, Georgia, Fairfax) (pop. 45,417) 48.5%
18. Anchorage Municipality, AK (Anchorage) (pop. 260,283) 48.3%
19. Terrebonne Parish, LA (Houma, Bayou Cane, Schriever) (pop. 104,503) 47.9%
20. Ouachita Parish, LA (Monroe, West Monroe, Claiborne) (pop. 147,250)