WATCH THE VIDEO NOW
If you're looking for a crowd-pleasing wild game recipe, we're about to fill you in on a little secret: venison queso dip is the greatest creation in the history of food.
If you aren't familiar with queso, you must live far from Texas. This staple of munchie goodness is found at many parties and gatherings, especially football games.
Perhaps the greatest part of making queso is the simplicity; there's very little work involved and utilizing a slow cooker will keep the dip warm and gooey for longer than an entire NFL football game.
The trick is to get ground venison tasting like taco meat, which involves a few pantry items and a little extra cooking time. But once you have the meat ready, it's a cinch to complete the one dish that's going to win over the most anti-wild game eater at your next party.
Follow the directions below, and feel free to tweak things; queso can't really be ruined, and you can add or subtract ingredients depending on your spice tolerance and taste preferences.
Venison Queso Dip
Prep time: 10 minutes; Cook time: Varies, approximately 30 minutes
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 16 oz block of Velveeta cheese
- Tortilla chips
- 1 10 oz can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- Alternative option 1: 1 cup fresh chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup jalapeno slices, 1/2 cup cilantro
- Alternative option 2: Simply add salsa
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add venison, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder and cook until done, approximately 5-6 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain excess fat and add it to a slow cooker.
2. Cut the Velveeta into 1/2-inch pieces and add it to the slow cooker. Open the can of Ro-Tel and add it as well. Mix together and set the slow cooker to the high or medium setting. (To speed up the process, put the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute. Depending on your microwave, the cheese should be thoroughly melted within 3 minutes.)
3. Add the optional ingredients if desired, mix well and serve with tortilla chips.
That's it, that's all there is to it. We hope you enjoy this, but there's really no doubt in our minds.