Facebook: Dale M. Struemph - Broker Associate, Living the Dream Outdoor Properties

Man Ties Up Sick Buck While He Waits for Game Warden

This guy had to think on his feet when he stumbled across a struggling buck.

Time in the woods is well spent. You can come across many amazing sights over the course of time, but this may be one in a million.

Dale Struemph was checking out a clients property as they cruised the land before coming across a decent-sized, mature buck. Unlike most mature deer, the buck was not startled and did not flee the scene. Red flag, something is up.

With the landowner's permission, Struemph contacted the game warden and asked if they wanted to check the buck for any diseases and determine whether he should put the deer down.

The game warden came to dispatch the deer, but told Struemph to shoot it if it began to wander off.

With the warden being 40 minutes out, the landowner left to meet him while Struemph watched over the buck. After some time, the buck began to wander and Struemph debated on dispatching the deer a couple times. He really did not want this incredibly sick deer to suffer anymore.

At that point, the lightbulb had turned on.

"I'm going to tie this deer up," Struemph said.

The buck made his way to a fence and walked up to it as if he didn't even know it was there. Dale grabbed a piece of wire and began to make his move. Sneaking up behind him, he then began to wrap the wire around the bucks antler and tied it off to a fence post.

After about 10 minutes, the landowner showed back up with the game warden only to look around confused and wonder where the deer was.

"Where is the deer?" he asked.

"I have him tied up down there," Struemph replied.

The shock on the warden's face was apparently priceless as they approached to see the massive buck actually tied to the fence post.

After taking the moment in and a few bewildered chuckles that this actually happened, the warden was able to properly dispatch the whitetail.

Upon further observation, they found green pus coming from the base of an antler that was cracking the skin. The warden assumed the infection had most likely spread to the brain and in return was causing the sick and odd behavior of the mature buck.

The carcass was sent off for more testing, and hopefully they can find more information on what the issue was. One thing is certain, though, the deer will not be suffering anymore and won't have to worry about coyotes catching him alive.