wolf attack

Camper Saves Family From Wolf Attack in Canada

This father was doing everything he could to protect his family, but he likely would've died without getting some help.

A New Jersey woman and her family took a trip to Alberta, Canada, for some backcountry camping when their family time turned into a scene "out of a horror movie."

Elisa Rispoli and her husband, Matthew, took their two boys to the Rampart Creek Campground at Banff National Park with the hope of getting some quality family time.

However, that family time would would be interrupted by a life-or-death moment of terror, as a wolf violently attacked their campsite.

According to a post Elisa wrote on Facebook Aug. 9, her husband instinctively sprung into action to protect his wife and kids.

"Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys and fought the wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and his hands," she wrote.

According to her account, Matthew tried to pin the wolf, which would result in the predator trying to drag him away.

"I was pulling on his legs trying to get him back," she wrote. "I cannot and don't think I'll ever be able to properly describe the terror."

As the Matthew's fate started to look bleak, a Good Samaritan likely saved his life when he kicked the wolf as hard as he possibly could.

It wouldn't be until after the wolf retreated that the family realized their savior was Russ Fee, a fellow camper at a neighboring site, who didn't hesitate to take action when he heard screaming in the distance.

Fee, a Calgary native, told reporters the Rispoli's tent was already nearly collapsed when he arrived, and that he could see the wolf dragging Matthew.

His kick was effective, as it was the first thing to actually deter the wolf.

"It startled it enough that it let Matt go," he told the Calgary Eyeopener. "Matt came flying out. His whole half side was just covered in blood."

To keep the wolf from turning back toward them, Matthew and Fee started screaming and throwing rocks at the retreating wolf as everyone else ran to Fee's campsite for safety.

"It could have been so so much worse, and we are just feeling so thankful that we are all still sitting here as a complete family," Elisa's post read.

First responders arrived to take Matthew to the hospital, where he was treated for lacerations to his hands and his arms. Elisa wrote in her post that he's going to be OK.

Rampart Creek Campground was temporarily closed and reopened the following Monday, and the wolf was tracked down and dispatched.