There are many names for ducks. If the group of ducks is in the water swimming, they are called a raft. A group of ducklings is called a brood when they're on dry land.
Here are some other names from the British Bird Lovers organization:
- Pair of ducks is called a brace.
- Ducks (diving) - a dopping of ducks
- Ducks (flying) - a plump of ducks
- Ducks (on water) - a paddling of ducks
Do You Know These Duck Facts?
We could easily cover all bird species including penguins, wild ducks, hummingbirds, or even swans. Yet we wanted to dive into some general duck facts beyond "raft of ducks" for our readers. We love to write and talk about ducks (honestly, all waterfowl) whether it's mallards, muscovy ducks and wild ducks.
- Ducks belong to the family Anatidae
- Ducks are precocial which means they are mature from birth
- What about male ducks? Ducks do not mate for life but they are monogamous for a breeding season
- Very few ducks actually quack
- A baby duck is called a duckling, an adult male is a drake and an adult female may be called a duck
Other names of groups of ducks? A plump, a paddling, a sord, a raft and a twack are all used.
Do you have both chickens and ducks in your flock?
Enjoy the outdoors?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.