What could be better than a grilled cheese and soup combo? Adding some ground venison to the sandwich, that's what! This here's a fancier version of the go-to kid's meal, and I added onions and mushrooms for those who's tastes have grown up a little more. Sourdough is one of my favorite sandwich breads, and it's particularly great as a grilled cheese foundation. Plus, the mixture of white American and gouda cheeses is a match made in sandwich heaven!
As far as the soup goes, I stuck with a trustworthy choice: tomato basil. You can opt for something else, but I'll just say this: tomato soup pair well with wild game, and is tough to beat as a cold autumn or fall lunch choice.
Be sure to check out my new cookbook, The Weekend Wild Game Cookbook: Easy, Everyday Meals for Hunters and Their Families available on Amazon.
Venison Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- 1 pound Ground Venison
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Butter, for making grilled cheeses
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices White American cheese
- 8 slices Gouda cheese
Tomato Basil Soup Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce cans) crushed tomatoes with juices (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, plus more to serve
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, plus more to serve
Venison Grilled Cheese with Tomato Basil Soup Recipe Directions
For the Tomato Soup:
1. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add in the shallots. Sauté for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the minced garlic and stir for one minute until the garlic is fragrant, approximately one minute.
2. Add in the crushed tomatoes (with juices), chicken stock, basil, sugar, thyme and pepper. Stir the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and partially cover the pot for 10 minutes.
3. At this point you can use an immersion blender if desired for less chunky consistency.
4. Add in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and bring back to a simmer. Taste the soup and add any salt and pepper if needed. Reduce the heat to low while making the grilled cheese sandwiches.
For the Grilled Cheese:
1. Begin to brown the ground venison in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the venison is completely cooked through and the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in the same pan. Brown two slices of bread. Flip bread over and top one side with a slice of Gouda and the other with a slice of American cheese. Top one slice of bread with 1/3 to 1/2 cup venison mixture. Place second slice of toasted bread on top and flip sandwich over one more time to melt cheese. Keep the prepared grilled cheese sandwiches warm in the oven while cooking the others.
3. Serve with the tomato soup.
Enjoy the outdoors?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.