Skip to main content

Home Sausage-Making Accident Forces 69-Year-Old Vet to Cut Off His Own Arm

This sausage-making accident was more than an ordeal for North Dakota's Myron Schlafman.

A Vietnam veteran and 69-year-old Jamestown, North Dakota man suffered a lost hand when he got it stuck in his electric meat mixer, forcing him to cut a part of his own arm off to prevent bleeding to death.

"I just looked and knew I was in big trouble," Myron Schlafman told KFGO. "When I cut off my arm, I could feel my nerves jumping. If I would have hesitated, I would have stood right there and bled to death."

In an exclusive interview with KFGO News, Myron Schlafman says he knew that the only way he could free himself would be to cut the arm off before bleeding to death.

Posted by KFGO 790 AM on Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Two quick-responding local police officers applied a tourniquet before Schlafman was taken to a hospital. He underwent three surgeries and spent nine days under medical care.

Schlafman plans to begin using a prosthesis after his arm fully heals, which should take a few months. "I think I've learned a few things new," he said. "I've always appreciated life, but not as much as I do now."

Like a true veteran, he was also quoted as saying "It would be very easy to sit back, feel sorry for myself and get depressed. I went through Vietnam. I can handle this."

Anyone who processes their own meat, whether it's wild game or not, knows the inherent dangers that come with that type of machinery. Most of it is heavy duty, and can do some serious damage if you're not using it properly, or there's an unfortunate slip up.

Here's to always being vigilant and safe when using this kind of stuff, and an extra salute to Mr. Schlafman. Your bravery is to be admired, and we're all better off knowing your story.

NEXT: THIS YEAR'S 5 BEST VENISON JERKY RECIPES

WATCH

oembed rumble video here

you might also like

Home Sausage-Making Accident Forces 69-Year-Old Vet to Cut Off His Own Arm