Making shredded taco meat doesn't have to be complicated, especially when you have a Dutch oven at your disposal. Dutch ovens are the perfect way to cook a meal without much preparation, and they keep your meat tender and juicy. The other reason I love them? The single pot makes for easy cleanup when dinner is over.
For this recipe, choose from elk or venison roast. Ensure it is well seasoned with chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, and salt. Add beef stock and lime for extra moisture and a little bit of flavor while cooking in the oven. After baking in the oven for three hours, the meat will easily pull apart with two forks. The shredded meat can be served in tortillas with your favorite toppings, placed on rice, or even in a sandwich. The possibilities are endless!
Dutch Oven Shredded Taco Recipe
View this post on Instagram
- 2-pound roast (venison or elk)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, Mexican oregano, and salt in a small bowl. Pat roast dry, then sprinkle seasoning all over the meat and use your hands to rub the seasonings into the meat.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Sear the roast on both sides. Once the meat is seared, add garlic and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in broth. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- At the end of the cooking time, uncover the pot and shred the meat in the pot using two forks to pull it apart.
- Once shredded, top with the juice from one lime, stir well and serve in tortillas with desired toppings.
Enjoy the outdoors?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.