Shooters are raving about the AKR2, the Gen 2 MK47 Mutant.
Hey CMMG, stop making stuff we have to buy! Just like the release of the popular CMMG Banshee, the new Gen 2 Mutant AKR2 is what many have been waiting for.
About three years ago, CMMG introduced the MK47 Mutant, which was a huge hit for gun fanatics. The Mutant is a mid-sized AR, designed to run the 7.62x39mm round using a larger and more durable AR-10-sized bolt, all while still offering AR-15-style ergonomics. It's built from an AR-10 platform, but shortened by ¾ of an inch. A unique lower receiver allows it to accept AK magazines and drums, while the rifle itself accepts most aftermarket AR rifle parts.
The original design did have one downfall, though. No aftermarket charging handles were compatible with the Mutant because it used a shortened, mid-size AR platform. However, the AKR2, solved those problems. CMMG has upgraded the Mutant with an ambidextrous safety selector, the new RML15 M-LOK hand guard, and a new ambidextrous charging handle.
VSO Gun Channel shared this video to showcase this unique firearm. The shooters look like kids in a candy store as they take it trough some field tests.
I know some of you just want the specs and the price, so here you go:
- Barrel: 16.1-inch medium taper 4140 SBN barrel
- Muzzle: SV muzzle brake, threaded 5/8-24
- Hand guard: CMMG RML15
- Furniture: Magpul MOE pistol grip, MAGPUL CTR buttstock, AMBI safety, AMBI charging handle
- Receivers: Billet 7075-T6 AL, CMMG mid-size platform
- Trigger: Geissele Automatics SSA
- Weight: 7.2 pounds (unloaded)
- Length: 33.5 inches (stock collapsed)
- Gas port location: carbine
- MSRP: $1,899.95
If you already own the original version of the Mutant, CMMG is offering the ambidextrous charging handle as a stand-alone accessory.
What do you think about this gun?