This southern breakfast venison sausage balls recipe is great for any occasion.
A lot of sausage ball recipes are overcooked or dry, but this intricate combination of sharp cheddar and Bisquick is going to have you wanting more.
The ingredients are simple as shown below:
- 1.5 pounds ground venison sausage
- 4 cups of Bisquick
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour Bisquick baking mix into large bowl with whole milk
- Mix venison sausage and milk together with a whisk
- Mix in sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- Mix in 1.5 pounds of venison sausage
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients until distributed evenly
- Shape mixture into 2-inch balls (approximately the size of golf balls) and place them on a baking sheet or cookie sheet.
- After oven is preheated, cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden-brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes.
- To keep sausage balls fresh place them in a slow cooker or crock-pot with a cup of water to keep moist.
Obviously, feel free to use any type of sausage you want. It can be pork sausage, hot sausage, mild sausage or Jimmy Dean sausage. No matter what you prefer, it's a sausage ball recipe that's hard to beat. The whole batch of venison sausage balls will typically will feed 3-4 people. You'll have to adjust the recipe accordingly.
These easy venison sausage balls can be made the night prior to cooking and serving them. If you decide to prepare them the night before, be sure to place them in a closed container and separate the sausage balls with aluminum foil so they don't mold together.
Though most venison sausage is mixed with a little bit of pork so it'll molds together, venison sausage typically is leaner and contains less gristle. To find more wild game recipes with venison or deer meat, click here.