Regardless of what you think of the rest of Donald Trump's platform, his stand on the 2nd Amendment is spot-on correct. The Yankee Marshal agrees.
Donald Trump, the businessman turned presidential candidate, recently released his succinct and detailed position on the 2nd Amendment. It is a tour de force of common sense based on a clear-headed, unbiased understanding of the amendment.
Trump is a polarizing figure, there's no question about that. Love him or hate him; those seem to be the only two options with most folks.
However, remove the personality and reputation of the man for a moment and just look at his stated position on the 2nd Amendment and gun control. It would be hard for all but the most stubborn and agenda-driven anti-gunner to argue effectively with Trump's position.
The Yankee Marshal agrees.
The Yankee Marshal is the persona of one David Atkinson. Atkinson's Yankee Marshal YouTube account is a popular gun channel (as you might have guessed after watching the video). The channel has close to 144,000 subscribers.
The man speaks on all sorts of gun related issues, and does so with significant doses of common sense and humor.
He admits that he's "not the biggest Donald Trump supporter," more than once during the video. However, as I said earlier, it's hard to read Trump's stance on the 2nd Amendment and find any fault with it, unless you are, in my opinion, an emotionally-driven gun-control zealot.
Here are a few of the key Yankee Marshal observations that I especially like:
- "I'm not the biggest Donald Trump fan. I don't even watch 'The Apprentice.' But...there's one thing you can say about Donald Trump and that's that he's different. And if he got elected president, I could see worse things happening. ... One thing Donald Trump definitely isn't, and that's the same-ol'-same-ol'. ...Well I know a lot of people say 'Well what about Bernie Sanders? Bernie isn't like everybody else!'. Well, you're right, he's not. He's also not electable. No one's going to elect someone who looks like your great-grandfather who looks like he's using the podium as a walker every time he's on stage. It's just not going to happen."
- "Let's face it. When you look at most firearms laws anyway, when you look at most anti-firearm laws, they are rooted in two things: racism and classism, and especially racism. Most firearms laws we have nowadays were basically designed to keep guns out of the hands of ex-slaves."
- "And you know he [Trump] is absolutely right about all gun laws being failures. They don't do anything positive. They've never succeeded in doing what they're supposed to do. They don't do that anywhere. Nowhere in the world have they ever actually worked. Now people will say 'Well in Europe they work and in Australia they work'. No they don't. There is no evidence to show that the crime rates that have been falling since they enacted the laws wouldn't have fallen already anyway. Because the trends were already that way, anyway, before they enacted the laws. Same thing in Europe, and there's lots of evidence to show that other violent crimes have gone up since they were enacted."
- "So you know, you could probably say what you want about Donald Trump and you'd probably be justified in a lot of it. You could say he's potentially a plant to destroy the Republican Party from within. OR you say he's just batshit crazy. But one thing you can't say is that he's like every other politician we've ever elected. And one thing we can all agree upon is that the definition of insanity is to repeat the same actions time and time, again and expect a different outcome. And as far as politics are concerned in this country, we've been doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome, and it's never worked out for us."
- "Maybe, next time I go to the polls, or maybe next time you go to the polls, we're going to decide that when it comes to casting our vote for president, we're tired of acting like insane people."
I personally am with Atkinson on his assessment of candidate Trump as well as his assessment of Trump's position on guns and the 2nd Amendment.
I'm not at all sure that Trump is "my" candidate. It's still plenty early, and frankly I've got my eye on a couple of other horses in the race.
But I have never heard a better, clearer, or more righteous position by a candidate for president on the 2nd Amendment and our right to keep and bear arms than the one that Donald Trump has given.