If you're a fan of sushi and like raw salmon, then first be familiar with the anisakis larvae.
According the New England Journal of Medicine, this video is a marked reason to be aware of the risks of eating uncooked salmon and other seafood.
A healthy woman in her mid-thirties ended up in the hospital after two days of severe chest pain, nausea, and vomiting.
Check out the video and you'll see why.
According to the NEJM, "Anisakiasis is a parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract in humans that is caused by the consumption of raw or inadequately cooked seafood containing third-stage larvae of the nematode Anisakis simplex or related species."
The endoscopic forceps used in the video fully removed eleven of the parasitic larvae from the woman's esophagus and other areas.
Nematode?? Anything that ends in 'tode' should be shot and not eaten! After the surgery, "the patient's symptoms resolved."
Bottom line - be aware of the risks of eating wild foods and then enjoy them completely.