We love following Jim Shockey on Instagram. Here's 30 memorable moments he shared with us in 2016.
What's not to love about Jim Shockey? He's a hunter, a conservationist, and an educator. More importantly, he's a family man. We admire his ethics, his spirit, and his true sense of adventure. In our eyes, he's definitely the real deal.
With 174,000 followers on Instagram, Shockey's posts garner a lot of attention. They should, as they show a side of the outdoors that is both exciting, educational, and heartwarming.
We've picked 30 of our favorite moments from 2016 to share with you. They are in chronological order, and show a brief glimpse into the year of Jim Shockey.
But before we get to that, here's a few fun facts about the man himself:
- Was an All-American swimmer in university and later played on the National water polo team for six years.
- Participated in both the 1978 and 1982 world championships but did not attend the 1980 Olympics because of the international boycott against Russia.
- Considered to be one of the world's foremost experts on the Ethnocentric Folk Art forms from Western Canada and is an avid collector of Tribal art and artifacts from around the world.
- Is an active member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), serving the rank Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel (HLCol) of the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group.
- In 2016 he received the Conklin Award, which recognizes the world's greatest active hunter who pursues game in the most difficult terrain and conditions while abiding by the highest standards of ethics and fair chase.
1. Two legends
2. Another day, another destination
Guess where!!! Back in Mexico, but 1000 miles away from where we were hunting just after Christmas! Big difference. All good here. Second trip down to central Mexico to try for the tiny little (and super smart) Whitetail deer that live here. Failed back in 2015...hoping for better luck this time! #mexico #secondchance #whitetail
3. The Mexican taste test
4. A well-deserved honor
5. Fans always come first
6. The next generation
7. True love
8. Man's best friend(s)
9. A true man cave
10. Home away from home
11. Paying respect
12. Effort equals reward
13. Making friends
14. Wise words
15. Louise is always on his mind
16. Tim's bear
17. Fitting in
19. Proud to be Canadian
20. Best hunting buddy
21. The big news
22. Bull moose down
Dinner is served!!! For the next year!!! 40-yard shot, 125-grain @ragebroadheads (Hypodermic) 420-grain total arrow weight, @bowtecharchery Boss, @iqbowsights and @trufirereleases for anyone who wants the details. #moosehunt #eatwildgame #bowtech #bowtechboss #ragebroadheads #iqbowsights #archery #archeryhunt #trufire #trufirereleases #yukon
23. Big news x's 2
24. Supporting our troops
Spending 2 days in Edmonton for a conference! It's the annual 3rd Canadian Division's Honorary Colonels and Lieutenant Colonels conference to discuss Canadian Army Reserve issues. Each Canadian Army unit has either a HCOL, a HLCol (like us), or a Colonel of the Regiment (Reserve units have HCols and HLCols and Regular Force units have CoRs). The role of these honorary appointments is vital as both an additional layer of support to the units as well as greater connection to Canadians. The vehicle behind me is an armoured personnel carrier.
25. This one's for his father
26. A mammoth find
27. On top of the world
28. Home is where the heart is
30. The birthday boy
From myself and Wide Open Spaces, best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful 2017, Jim. And thanks for sharing your outdoor adventures with us all.