Keep your deer mineral rock out of the reach of feral hogs with this simple project.
Wherever feral hogs are present, consistent deer management becomes more difficult. Feral hogs compete with deer for resources and damage the environment. It is especially frustrating when they raid feeders meant for deer or damage the deer mineral rock you bought.
Don’t let any more of your money go to waste with this simple project on how to hog proof your deer mineral rock. It doesn’t take a lot of time or supplies to get it done and will make sure that your deer mineral rock is out of any feral hog’s reach.
Here is the entire list of necessary supplies according to the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA):
- Cordless hammer drill
- ½-inch carbide-tipped concrete/masonry drill bit (at least 8 inches in length)
- 72-inch T-posts (1 per mineral site)
- 1/4-inch rebar, 2 feet in length (1 per mineral site)
- Fence-post driver (or sledgehammer)
- Wire cutters
- Work gloves
- Plastic bag for protecting drill from salt
- 1 Trophy Rock per mineral site
The QDMA also wants hunters to know that a deer mineral rock should only be used where it is legal, where there is no evidence of disease among a deer herd, and with responsible deer management techniques in mind.