Trail cameras are an invaluable tool. They’re our eyes and ears in the woods 24/7. A trail camera can not only tell you which area is worth dedicating time to, but it can also tell you which to avoid.
With that said, there are many options and price ranges, so how do you know which is the best choice? Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. Here’s what we consider the best trail camera, hands down, and why!
However, before we give you our top pick, here’s the top factors to consider when selecting a trail camera:
- Trigger speed: this is how quickly the camera takes a photo from the time an animal triggers the motion sensor. We recommend selecting a camera with under a 1-second trigger speed.
- Megapixels: defines the quality of the photo or video taken by the camera. Many trail cameras are now at 12 – 20 megapixels. We do not recommend choosing a camera below 10 megapixels. Don’t settle for low-quality photos!
- Field of view: consider the field of view like your peripheral vision.
- Range: will your camera capture animals at 50, 60 or even 100 feet? That’s what the range of the motion detector on your camera will determine.
- Reset speed: this may seem similar to the trigger speed however it is vastly different. The reset speed is how quickly the camera takes to reset after the initial photo.
- Warranty: most cameras come with a 1 or 2-year warranty. This weighted heavily in our top pick as quality and dependability are important factors. Furthermore, you work hard for your money, your trail camera should work hard for you, for several years.
Now, you might be saying, “Thanks for the pointers, but what’s the best trail camera?”
The Cabela’s Outfitter Series 12 or 14-megapixel camera. It takes high-quality photos or video with a quick trigger speed of 1 second. You can view your photos or video right on the internal display. Additionally, it has an excellent field of view and range (100 ft). However, the most important factor is that Cabela’s Outfitter Series is the only camera on the market to come with a lifetime warranty!
With effective trail camera use, you’ll increase your odds of success and have loads of fun in the process. Good luck!