Smoked venison is a tasty way to take advantage of a successful hunt.
This DIY smoker is built into an outdoor man cave and would be perfect for any hunting camp.
Check it out and see if you think it looks like something you'd like to try. Then enjoy the flavor and comraderie that comes with preparing smoked venison.
Whether you choose to make the smoker in the video or you already have a smoker you like, be sure to follow these basic rules of thumb for the best tasting smoked venison:
- Season the venison with a dry rub and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare your wood (and water if necessary) before hand.
- Keep the smoker temperature between 225 and 250 degrees.
- Avoid the temptation to open the smoker and peek at your meat. It lets out the heat and smoke that are working in your favor.
- Your smoked venison is done when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Smoked venison is a hunting camp favorite, but it is also great for summertime barbecues and other get togethers. Use this video to help make a smoker of your own and enjoy this classic preparation method for yourself.