This easy recipe for stuffed trout is guaranteed to make your mouth water!
Here’s a dare. Try to watch this video recipe for stuffed trout without getting some intense hunger pangs. It just isn’t possible.
We all love a fresh-caught fish recipe and this one for stuffed trout might be the best yet. Even better still, it is relatively easy to prepare and can be done with any kind of fish you choose. Bonus for sure.
Here’s what you’ll need to get the party going:
- 2 – 2lb fish, scaled and deboned
- 2 cups – bread, cubed in 1/2″ pieces
- 1 cup – diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup – diced onions
- 1/2 cup – diced sweet and hot peppers
- 1 cup – chopped spinach or arugula
- 1 – medium tomato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons – Braggs Herb Sprinkles
- 1 teaspoon – each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon – butter, ghee or cooking oil
Ingredients are enough for two fish and will serve four people.
Now feast your eyes on the preparation. Just listen to that grill sizzle. Yummy!
And here’s the simple directions to put it all together:
- Debone and scale two fish.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers and mushrooms in a hot pan.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in the spinach, bread crumbs and tomatoes, coating the bread crumbs in the butter and vegetable mixture. Let cool.
- Place the stuffing into the cavity of each fish. Insert skewers, toothpicks, twigs into the belly of the fish to hold in the stuffing. Trussing string works even better if you have some on hand.
- Place the stuffed fish on a hot grill or frying pan, but on low to medium heat only. If you are cooking it in an oven or barbeque, set the temperature to 350F.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then flip the fish and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a stick or fork through the fish – there should be very little resistance.
- Serve with bannock and beer.
A big thanks to Shawn James for providing this scrumptious recipe. Check out his blog for more great recipes, how-to’s, and information on the great outdoors.