Nearly 40,000 thousand people have signed a petition to allow attendees of the Republican National Committee (RNC) convention to open firearms this July in Cleveland, OH.
One group of gun owners has submitted an online petition to force the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio–which will play host to the RNC Convention this July–to allow attendees to open carry firearms.
Americans For Responsible Open Carry submitted a petition on Change.org titled, “Allow Open Carry of Firearms at the Quicken Loans Arena during the RNC Convention in July.” They have cited Cleveland’s high crime rates and the threat of gun control as the basis for the petition.
Here’s are the five demands they have laid out in their petition:
1. From the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland: A suspension of their policy preventing the open carry of firearms on the premises of the arena from July 18-21, 2016 to coincide with the Republican National Convention.
2. From the National Rifle Association: An immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution constituted by the “gun-free zone” loophole to the state law.
3. From Ohio Governor John Kasich: A concerted effort to use his executive authority to override the “gun-free zone” loophole being exploited by the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
4. From Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee: An explanation of how a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention. Further, we demand a contingency plan to relocate the convention to another location should the Quicken Loans Arena refuse to honor the constitutional rights of the RNC guests to open carry firearms during the convention.
5. From all Republican candidates for President: You have been brave in raising awareness about the immense dangers posed by “gun-free zones.” In order to ensure the safety of your supporters, delegates and all attendees at the convention in July, you must call upon the RNC to rectify this affront to our Second Amendment freedoms and insist upon a suspension of the Quicken Loans Arena’s unconstitutional “gun-free zone” loophole. Every American is endowed with a God-given Constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please.
Here is Quicken Loans Arena’s weapons policy:
In accordance with the Ohio’s “concealed carry” law and the right for private entities to ban handguns on their premises, firearms and other weapons of any kind are strictly forbidden on the premises of Quicken Loans Arena.
According to the Akron Beacon-Journal, the Ohio Republican Party wasn’t aware of the petition and has said Secret Service, in conjunction with Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, state and federal authorities, will be responsible for security at the convention. Service service also banned guns at the 2012 RNC Convention in Tampa, FL either.
While private entities have the right to forbid firearms on their premises, law-abiding gun owners who responsible carry should be permitted to carry during the RNC Convention. What say you?