Before you head out the door on your next moose hunting excursion, there are certain items you’ll want to make sure are making the trip with you.
So you’re getting ready for moose hunting season and you think you’ve got everything packed up and ready to go. There’s always something that can be overlooked, and often, that item is the one that you need the most.
Here are some things you definitely won’t want to forget:
- Rules and Regulations: Make sure you’ve studied up on the local rules and regulations of the areas you plan to hunt. Forgetting, or not knowing, the rules can lead to some intense interactions with law enforcement which can make things go sideways in a hurry. Don’t forget to check regulations on motorized vehicles as well!
- Share Your Plans: Make sure to share your location and hunting plans with your friends or family. Give them a time-frame you’ll be out hunting. If something happens, you’ll want someone to know you’re missing!
- Know The Weather: Check the forecast before you head out. It is also beneficial if you know the area’s weather patterns during hunting season so you can be prepared for the unexpected! Rest assured, the unexpected will happen more often than you think.
- Recommended Equipment: Check out this detailed list of items and tools you should bring with you on the hunt to help with meat transport.
Here are some great videos to check out
- Crazy Camera Perspective: Spear Hunting Wild Pigs
- You’ve Gotta See This Big Rooster Fish Caught From Shore
- GoPro Hog Hunting is Pretty Intense
In addition to the tools you’ll need to quart your moose, check out the general hunting supplies you should bring on every hunting trip:
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Hip Boots
- Hunting Boots
- Camp Shoes
- Insect Proof
- Insulated Gloves
- Leather Gloves
- Soft Case
- Hard Case
- Knife Sharpener
- Utility Tool
- Rifle Cleaning Kit
- Dry Bag
- Water Bottles
- Water Purifier
- Parachute Cord
- Space Blanket
- Fire Starting Material
- Bear Spray
- Game Bags
- Zip Lock Bags
- Electrical and Duct Tape
Make sure to check out this Hunting Plan Worksheet by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
More importantly than all the material items, enjoy the process. Moose hunting isn’t something most people get a chance to do. It is challenging, but a once-in- a-lifetime experience!
Are we missing something on the list? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Feature image via Wikimedia Commons