Skip to main content

Man Gives Good Reason to Stay Away from Fires After Applying Bug Spray [PICS]

bug spray
All photos via Mark Machesky/ Facebook

A man accidentally set his legs on fire after applying bug spray and getting near open flames.

A man named Mark Marchesky recently posted pictures and a warning to his Facebook to others about the dangers of getting near fire after applying bug spray. In what seemed like a normal chore soon turned into a horrendous disaster that landed Mark in the burn unit at his local hospital.

While out on his farm gathering brush to burn, Mark was being eaten up by mosquitoes. He grabbed a can of bug spray and coated himself down to try to ward the pesky insects off. Immediately after applying the spray he reached down to set the brush pile ablaze.

The brush caught immediately and also ignited the fresh flammable vapors from the bug spray coming from his body. The flash of fire engulfed parts of his legs and burned him severely.

Marchesky wrote, “A quick flash of the torch ignited both the brush and instantly a flash of flame to both my legs. It happened so quickly, as I ran patting the burning flesh of my legs I reached a garden hose on a nearby outbuilding and began flushing my legs for about 20 minutes to east the pain.”

bug spray

He then rushed to the ER where they stripped the remaining flesh from his legs and applied bacitracin before wrapping them with sterile bandages. One week later he had to go to an appointment at the burn clinic where they scrubbed off the remaining dead flesh with Dial soap.

“Painful-YES! With no pain meds given my kids heard my muffled school girl screams from my treatment room down the hall,” explained Marchesky.

He hopes this serves as a reminder to anyone who will be near a fire after applying bug spray, especially children, of the danger that can happen if you are careless. He says you should wait at least five minutes or more to allow the spray to dry before starting your activities.

All photos via Mark Machesky/ Facebook

 

you might also like

Man Gives Good Reason to Stay Away from Fires After Applying Bug Spray [PICS]