Anyone can throw some meat on the heat and call it good, but a little know-how is necessary to cook the ultimate venison steak.
Wondering how to cook the ultimate venison steak? Watch this video to find out.
Is that a grizzly bear at the door or just my stomach growling? Those venison steaks looked awesome.
Venison steaks can come from the tenderloin, backstrap, or hindquarter of a deer or elk. With the knowledge shown in the video, it would be hard to screw up these tender, delicious cuts of game meat.
Let’s review the steps for preparing the ultimate venison steak:
- Let the meat come up to room temperature before cooking.
- Brush steaks in olive oil and roll in your favorite seasoning.
- Get your pan (or grill) REALLY hot!
- Cook for 2-5 minutes per side depending on the size of your steaks. DO NOT cook past medium; medium rare is best.
- Baste in melted butter. An old deer hunting buddy of mine used to dip his venison steak in melted butter before each bite. I laughed at him until I tried it myself and changed my opinion. Basting with butter has the same positive effect.
- Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes. I know it’s hard, but don’t screw up your quest for the ultimate venison steak by getting impatient.
Well, what are you waiting for? Get some meat thawing and cook up your own ultimate venison steak.