In Texas and many other states across the U.S., dove season signals the start of fall and the beginning of great things to come (we’re looking at you, whitetail deer hunting). Dove are very fun to hunt, especially when you’ve been anticipating the season all summer long. Some people complain that dove are too “gamey” and that they don’t enjoy eating them, but this recipe is sure to make eating dove just as great as hunting. There’s tons of ways to cook dove, but this way might just be the tastiest. Not only is this dove recipe delicious, but it’s quick and requires very little prep, which makes it perfect for a quick dinner after a long day in the field. Fire up your grill and break out the bacon for….
WOS Dove Jalapeno Poppers
(Makes 20 poppers)
• 20 De-boned dove breasts (10 doves/20 breasts)
• 1 container cream cheese
• 1 package bacon
• 10 fresh jalapenos
• 1 Tbsp. Tony Chachere’s or other seasoning of your choice
1. Pre-heat grill
2. Rinse dove breasts
3. Slice jalapenos in half lengthwise and de-seed
4. Combine cream cheese and Tony Chachere’s, Mix well (seasoned cream
cheese adds extra flavor)
5. Spread cream cheese/seasoning mixture into opening of jalapeno
6. Top jalapeno/cream cheese with a dove breast
7. Wrap in a piece of bacon
8. Secure with a toothpick
9. Repeat until all dove breasts are wrapped in a jalapeno
10. Grill poppers over medium heat for 20 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turn occasionally.
11. Let poppers cool for about 5 minutes, and then oh my god, enjoy.