A brave German shepherd stopped a rattlesnake from biting a 7-year-old girl and most likely saved her life.
When a diamondback rattlesnake threatened Molly DeLuca and her grandmother their two-year-old German shepherd Haus stepped up to the plate and saved the day, taking three bites from the venomous snake.
Donya DeLuca, Molly’s mother, said that her daughter and her grandmother were in the backyard when the snake threatened them. That’s when Haus leaped into action and got between the rattler and the little girl. The hero dog didn’t back down even though it received multiple bites.
DeLuca said, “There’s no doubt he was protecting our family.”
The exceptionally brave dog had so much venom in his body from the bites that he has needed an almost constant intravenous drip of antivenin without which Haus would have died within hours of the bites.
To this point Haus the German shepherd hero has received some seven vials of the lifesaving antivenin, and at a whopping cost of $650 each, including 24-hour care in a veterinary ICU, the bills are mounting prompting the family to start a GoFundMe page.
With an incredible outpouring of support over 1,600 people from around the world have donated over $47,000 to help with Haus’s medical bills. With such an outstanding sharing effort the family of the hero dog plans to donate the extra to local shelters and rescue centers like Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue in Lithia.