Gar fishing combines some intense high speed boating with a bunch of big, toothy fish. What’s not to like?
Check out this video and you’ll want to go gar fishing.
If the video got you fired up enough to head south to chase some alligator gar yourself, here are some things you should know:
- The most alligator gar are found in Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, and Arkansas.
- Alligator gar can tip the scales to over 200 pounds.
- These fish can survive out of water for up to two hours.
- You’ll need a stout rod and reel, heavy line, and a steel leader.
- Use large live bait to catch the big ones.
- The alligator gar will bite in self defense — watch out!
Gar fishing looks like a whole lot of fun and there’s no better time to catch some of these crazy looking fish than summer, so start planning your gar fishing trip now.