No matter your stance, a good fried fish recipe will get you to enjoy wild-caught catfish, trout or just about any panfish.
Serious anglers put a lot of time and effort into catching their fish, from finding the right equipment to using the perfect technique to bring home the big catch.
But catching a fish for most is only half the fun. It’s still important to bring the prize home and cook up an excellent dinner. The following are three excellent recipes for fried fish that will leave everyone wanting more.
Standard Fish Batter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 lb. freshwater fish (advised catfish, perch, or bass)
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add water and mix the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Coat the fish fillets.
- Cover the fish completely in oil.
- Deep fry until a nice golden brown.
- 1 lb. catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup each onion – chopped
- 1/4 cup each green pepper – chopped
- 1/4 cup each celery – chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- paprika – dash
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- cooked rice
- fresh parsley – minced
- First sauté (in the olive oil) the green pepper, onion, and celery in a pan.
- Add the garlic in at the end for the last minute of sautéing.
- Next add the tomato paste, chicken broth, and seasonings.
- Quickly bring to rapid boil then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Next add in the tomato.
- Now place the catfish fillets in a greased baking dish (advised 9×13 inch dish).
- Add the sautéed mixture of vegetables on top and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 375 until fish flakes.
- Place over a bed rice and top off with the fresh parsley.
Beer Batter Catfish
- 1-1/2 lb. catfish fillets – cut into chunks (also good with bass or perch)
- 1 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- peanut oil- enough to cover fillets
- Mix the baking powder, flour, black pepper, and salt together.
- Next mix the beer, cooking oil, and tabasco together and add it to the flour mixture.
- Stir everything together well until it is a smooth consistency.
- Stick in refrigerator and chill for a bit.
- Next heat up the peanut oil to 375 in deep fryer.
- Take the catfish fillet chunks dip in the chilled batter mixture and drop into the deep fryer.
- Deep fry for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with some fried potatoes and enjoy!