Skip to main content

First Ibex of the Season Taken in Pakistan’s Gojal Valley

Pinterest

The ibex season in northeastern Pakistan has kicked off in the Gojal Valley with a successful hunt.

An Australian named Espin Filskov has taken the first ibex of the new season in Pakistan’s Gilgit-Baltistan region in the northern section of the country. Filskov had been hunting for two days in the valley with local guides when they spotted the trophy animal in the distance.

The valley is located in the northeastern part of Pakistan near the border with China and Afghanistan.

Google Maps
Google Maps

The animal had 49-inch horns which are considered uncommon. According to Range Forest Officer Shabbir Baig, who supervised the hunt “The hunter shot the animal from the roadside. The ibex was about 300 kilometres away in the Khunjerab Villagers Organization’s area.”

Since 300 kilometers is approximately 180 miles, we’ll have to assume that the ranger was mis-quoted. More likely it was 300 meters, which would be about 330 yards.

About 60 permits are issued each year for ibex at a fee of $8,800. Approximately 80 percent of the fee goes to local communities while the other 20 percent is spent by the government for forest and biodiversity projects.

NEXT: YOUR CHOICE: PRACTICE SHOOTING, OR BECOME A WILD BOAR’S LUNCH

you might also like

First Ibex of the Season Taken in Pakistan’s Gojal Valley