During the fall 2014 fish stocking season, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources added nearly 500,000 fish to state waters.
Anglers in Michigan will have more fishing opportunities in the future after the DNR’s Fisheries Division stocked more than 120 sites with more than 483,250 fish last fall.
“It was another outstanding fall fish stocking season that will provide enhanced angling opportunities throughout Michigan,” said DNR acting Fish Production Manager Ed Eisch. “When added to our successful spring and summer stocking efforts, that brings the total for 2014 to more than 22 million fish put into Michigan’s waters.”
The numbers represent six species of fish. All total, the fish stocked weighed more than 8.7 tons. The species included brook trout, lake trout, rainbow trout, steelhead, Atlantic salmon, walleye, and muskellunge.
- Marquette State Fish Hatchery stocked 49,980 fall fingerling and adult brook and lake trout that weighed 2,123 pounds. This hatchery stocked a total of 49 locations in 18 trips.
- Thompson State Fish Hatchery (near Manistique) stocked 66,913 fall fingerling steelhead that weighed 1,611 pounds. This hatchery stocked a total of four locations in three trips.
- Oden State Fish Hatchery (near Petoskey) stocked 233,755 fall fingerling rainbow trout that weighed 4,208 pounds. This hatchery stocked a total of 12 locations in four trips.
- Platte River State Fish Hatchery (near Honor) stocked 43,221 fall fingerling Atlantic salmon weighing 1,522 pounds. All Atlantic salmon were stocked into Torch Lake (Antrim County) in a single trip.
- Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery (near Kalamazoo) stocked 42,534 fall fingerling Great Lakes muskellunge, 1,510 fall fingerling northern strain muskellunge and 37 Muskegon strain walleye for a combined total of 4,950 pounds. The muskellunge were stocked at 27 sites in 15 trips, and walleye were stocked at two locations.
- The DNR’s cooperative hatchery at Lake Superior State University produced 9,816 fall fingerling Atlantic salmon weighing 606 pounds. These fish were stocked in one trip at two different locations on Torch Lake.
- Northern Lake Michigan, Southern Lake Michigan and Southern Lake Huron Fisheries Management Units stocked 35,521 fall fingerling walleye weighing 2,653.9 pounds. These fish were stocked at 32 sites in 16 trips.
Most of Michigan’s fish stocking takes place in the spring, but the fish must then be delivered at a specific time and location to ensure success of the stocking efforts.