Combine dove breasts and a blueberry BBQ sauce for this awesome wild game recipe.
Doves need to cook at at least 500 degrees so the skin gets crispy but the meat stays tender. Say goodbye to summer with this final BBQ recipe before it gets too cold (although, I remember my dad shoveling a little path in the snow to the grill when I was younger…).
This sauce, compliments of Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook, can really go with many different types of game; pork, duck, goose, chicken (thighs).
Doves with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
- 6 dove breasts (salted)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt the dove breasts and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and saute the onions and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 45 minutes, stir every now and then. After it has cooked down a bit, turn off heat and let cool. Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Oil up the dove breasts and get the grill flaming hot. Grill the doves with the cover down for about 2 minutes. Brush on the BBQ sauce and cook with the cover down for another 8-10 minutes, depends on how you like your meat cooked.
- Brush with more sauce and serve with some grilled potatoes, a light pasta, some grilled veggies or a salad!