Here is a great way to recycle old bottle caps into a new fishing lure.
Have some bottle caps lying around from that last party at the lake or while kicking back around the campfire? Save them up and turn them into small bottle cap lures. They are quick, cheap, and easy to make.
What you need:
- Any aluminum bottle cap
- Pair of pliers
- Treble hook
- Split ring
- Quick release swivel
- BBs or small split shot weights
- Nail or awl
1. Bend bottle cap slightly and place 2-3 weights or BBs inside.
Only add enough BBs to give the cap some weight. This will allow them to rattle around inside and draw even more attention to the lure.
2. Use pliers to firmly close cap all the way and flatten out each side.
Only flatten enough to punch holes in next step.
3. Use nail or awl to punch holes through each flat area.
Be careful not to make the holes to big or to close to the edges.
4. Place quick-release swivel through hole on one side and split ring with treble hook on the other.
One down and ready to go!
5. Tie it to your line and catch some fish, or get fancy with some acrylic paint to make it look how you want.
This little lure is a perfect project on slow fishing days while sitting on the dock waiting for a fish to bite.
Make one up and try it out, it may just change your luck and bring in that prize crappie, trout, or bass!
All photos taken by Alex Burton.