Skip to main content

Sound Advice on Deer Stand Placement

ftd-dorrian-deer-stand

Here are some suggestions for taking advantage of your ideal deer stand placement.

Did you know August is Treestand Safety Month? Now is the time to find your spot and set your stands, so here’s a little insight.

In the Midwest we have a great population of deer and lots of places to hunt, but finding the best place for your stand placement can be a tricky issue.

It’s essential that you scout a good location for your treestand months prior to season start, and I always suggest that you use the same techniques scouting your location that you use for hunting. Keeping the deer unaware of you ever being in their domain greatly increases your odds during the season.

I know that scouting just before and during the rut helps improve the locations for deer stand placement, but here in the Midwest we have so many deer, so I scout for both sexes to insure a successful season and population control. Good scouting practices should be the same as hunting, wear the same clothes you’re going to be hunting in, use cover scent to mask your smell and watch those game trails.

Deer stands don’t have to be in a tree, they certainly can be a ground stand built from branches or whatever natural resources you have. I suggest staying away from dragging in wood or other commercial products for ground stands unless you are going to build your stand for the following season.

After scouting your location, I like to use rainy days to place my treestands. The rain helps to reduce scent trails you might leave.

There are many commercial deer stands available, and you should always check weight limits and platform size prior to your purchase. For bowhunting, you’ll want to put a stand 15 to 22 feet above the ground, because this gives you the best angle of trajectory for a bow shot at 20 yards.

Practice is a must when shooting in deer stands. You should always start off by shooting with the platform on the ground until you are comfortable. Using full-sized 3D targets are the best, but if you don’t have one use hay bales or cardboard boxes. Using an elevated stand to practice in will increase your odds of a kill shot.

Statistically, one out of every four hunter experience a fall from a treestand during hunting season, with about 80% of the injuries being broken bones and minor injuries. The other 20% are severe or fatal accidents.

About 10 years ago I thought I was one of those invincible superheroes that could shoot from a stand and be fine. After finding myself hanging from the stand for over an hour and then falling to the ground, I had a great thought: a lanyard, knife and whistle are great tools that you should have with you every time you enter your treestand.

Also, remember to let your friends or family know where you are hunting and when you plan to return so that if you have a accident or don’t show up on time, they have an idea as to where to find you.

And if your stand location is more than perfect, give that information to a friend or family member who doesn’t hunt, and your secret spot won’t be swiped. Remember to be safe and have a great hunting season.

We would love to hear about your deer stand placement and hunting plans this season. Sound off in the comments.

you might also like

Sound Advice on Deer Stand Placement