This is why you should never leave a headless snake on your kitchen table.
A Chinese chef died after a cobra bit him – 20 minutes after its head was cut off.
Chef Peng Fan, of Guangdong Province in China, was preparing a delicacy that uses the meat of an Indochinese spitting cobra, a highly venomous and dangerous snake. Fan thought he had dispatched the cobra for good by decapitating, but it turns out the serpent’s head was still very much alive. When he went to throw the snake head in the garbage, it bit him, sending a lethal dose of venom into his blood.
Restaurant staff and guests heard Fan’s screams and called for an ambulance, but he died before medical help arrived.
“There was nothing that could be done to save the man,” said a police spokesperson, according to the Daily Mirror. “Only the anti-venom could have helped but this was not given in time. It was just a tragic accident.”
It’s both tragic and weird. Reptiles can function for up to an hour after they lose their body parts, but it’s mostly nonsensical functions. Watch this video of a decapitated copperhead head biting its severed body, and you’ll agree with me that severed snake heads are basically zombies.
- Watch What Viper Venom Does to Human Blood
- Jack Russell Terrier Shows a Cape Cobra Who’s Boss
- Epic Rattlesnake Den Will Make You Afraid of Snakes all Over Again
h/t Daily Mirror