Make people believe you slaved all day creating this savory classic all-American dish.
Chicken fried steak is a favorite on several menus across the states. It could easily be considered the poster child of good old-fashioned home cooking. Crafting this classic dish with elk gives it a savory flavor and is easy to prepare, making it a mouthwatering addition to your personal recipe box.
Chicken Fried Elk Steak
- 4 Elk steaks (taken from the hind quarter round muscle)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- ½ C Cooking oil
- Tenderize the elk steak with a mallet flattening to approximately ¾ inch thick.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and scramble with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat large frying pan with cooking oil on medium-high heat.
- Take each steak and drench in eggs then place each steak in the Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and shake vigorously until each steak is well coated with flour and spice mixture.
- Place each steak onto the heated pan with oil and fry until golden brown on each side.
This meal is a nice way to prepare elk for family and friends. It is so simple and quick, it can be made any day of the week. Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy and corn and you’ll have an unforgettable American classic meal.
More recipes from Wide Open Spaces: