Avoid this dangerous blue-green algae at all costs to keep your family safe.
North Dakota biologists say late summer is the time of year we start to see the harmful blue-green algae in bodies of water.
It only takes a few hot days for the organisms to bloom and once they do, you have to be extremely careful and avoid this nasty stuff as it can lead to many health issues and even death.
The bacteria in the algae produces poisonous cyanotoxins that, if swallowed by you and even animals, can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, rashes, hives, skin blisters, numb limbs, tingling fingers and toes, and dizziness.
Consumption of this bacteria is especially harmful in children, so keep a close eye on them, and the water.
Here are some ways to spot the damaging bacteria in the water:
- The water is discolored.
- The water is starting to foam.
- You can see scum in the water.
- You can see mats of green or blue-green algae in the water.
If you see any of these signs in the water, do not go in. If you do come in contact with the algae, rinse off in fresh water as soon as possible.
This algae is harmful to you, your children, and your pets so keep an eye out for suspicious characteristics in the water and if you see anything unusual, stay out of the water.