Want to impress your campmates this summer? These campfire orange brownies are exactly what you’re looking for.
I don’t care what people say, campfire cooking cannot be beat by even the best restaurants out there. Maybe it’s the fact that you’re out in the woods and really craving food, but when you add a little bit of smoky flavor from the campfire, everything is more delicious. It tastes like you were baking on an old-time wood stove. That’s doubly true for this recipe.
There’s obviously something about chocolate and orange that just goes together. The smoke enhances the chocolate notes and citrus even further. What emerges from the campfire is a gooey, fluffy brownie that’s perfect to spoon out of its own bowl.
Now mop up your drool and let’s watch the video for the directions!
Ready to go start a fire in your backyard just to try these delicious orbs of chocolaty orange goodness? Glad I wasn’t the only one.
Granted, this isn’t something you’ll be doing in the back country very often. But if you’re car camping, especially with children, this is a great and fun way to enjoy dessert besides the old standby s’more. You can even do this in your back yard in the summer when it’s too hot to bake inside. While you’re at it, pitch a tent and take a break from the distractions of your house. Boom, you’ve got a staycation in the works. The ingredients and directions for these campfire orange brownies are below.
- 1 package brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 oranges
- Build a campfire (or preheat your grill to 350ºF if you’re cheating).
- Mix the brownie batter according to the directions on the package.
- Slice the top off of each orange and scoop out the insides. Save the fruit to eat later. Spoon the brownie mixture into each orange (about 3/4 full) and place the top of the orange back on top of the mixture. Wrap tightly with foil and place in the coals of the campfire.
- Bake until the brownie is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Use tongs to carefully remove the campfire orange brownie and then carefully unwrap. Serve immediately.