Watch this amazing video as Peter Miller, professional angler and member of the Salt Life Team, accidentally lands a shark!
This is just wild! Miller takes this opportunity to share important information on the proper release a shark…and some incredible footage.
Share with all your angler buddies; you never know what’s going to show up on your line!
Check out these tips on shark release techniques:
1. After catching a shark, you have two minutes with it, or less.
2. The first thing you do is get them dehooked.
3. Make sure you have a dehooker, wire cutters, and bolt cutters.
4. Your number one priority is to ensure the shark’s survival and safe return to the ocean.
5. Give yourself ten seconds to remove the hook, either using pliers for a small shark, or with a dehooker tool.
6. If you can’t remove the hook in ten seconds, snap it in half with wire cutters or bolt cutters.
7. For a quick photo, life the shark’s jaw from behind for a few seconds, and then get it back into the water.
8. If on the shore, push the shark back into the ocean, face first, until it’s deep enough to swim off on its own.