Five deer rifles under $500? Is that even possible? And how good could a $500 rifle be? Well, hold on to your wallet, I believe the current offering will surprise you.
I will admit that it took a little shopping but all of these rifles can bring big game hunting into the range of almost any budget. Here was our criteria:
- Price, of course.
- The rifle had to be reliable, from a major manufacturer with a good reputation.
- The rifle had to come as a combination including the scope. Having to buy the scope in addition to the rifle would put us over budget.
- The rifle had to be new. Even better deals can be found on used rifles as I discussed here.
- The rifle had to be universally available. I include the link to where I found each bargain.
And so, without further adieu, here are some big bangs for not a lot of bucks.
1. Mossberg® Patriot 30-06 Springfield Combo Bolt-Action Rifle with Scope
The Mossberg® Patriot 30-06 Springfield Combo is the first on our list. This modern Mossberg comes loaded with features such as a fluted barrel, a five-round magazine and adjustable trigger.
It’s topped with a 3-9×40 scope. The retailer also lists the Patriot in .243, .308, and .270
2. Savage Axis Whitetail Pro Bolt-Action Rifle with Scope
It’s not surprising that Savage Arms would meet our demanding budget. Savage endures as a brand because their firearms get the job done.
The Axis Whitetail Pro is a Bass Pro Shop exclusive. It comes dipped in Realtree Xtra® camo and topped by a Bushnell 3-9×40 scope. It’s listed in too many calibers to mention.
3. Savage AXIS II XP Rifle with Scope Combo
The Savage Axis II XP is another Bass Pro Shop exclusive dipped in Mossy Oak® Infinity® camouflage. This next generation of the Axis has an adjustable trigger and is topped with a Weaver® Kaspa™ 3-9×40 scope. It’s available in .270 and 30-06.
- Mounted and boresighted 3-9x40mm variable scope
- Next Camo G1 stock with sling studs
4. Remington 700 ADL
The Remington 700 ADL makes our list only because of a mail-in rebate. The Model 700 is a proven performer. This version features synthetic stock and is topped with a 3-9×40 scope. It’s listed in .243, .270, .308, and 30-06.
5. Remington Whitetail Pro 770 Bolt-Action Rifle with Scope
Rounding out our list is this next generation of the Model 700, the Remington 770. This newer generation features ergonomic upgrades and beefing up of the bolt and locking mechanism. It’s coated in Realtree AP HD® and topped by a 3-9×40 scope and listed in .243, .270, .308, .30-06, and .300 Magnum.
And there you have it. Five deer rifles under $500.
I love a challenge.