Bull elk fights are a spectacular sight to see. Here are some photos that capture the intensity of battle.
Elk are huge and powerful creatures. Whether it is the rut or just male aggression, some get into some pretty extreme battles.
1. The average bull elk will weigh around 700 pounds.
2. Every year they start to regrow their antlers in the spring.
3. By fall they are ready to fight.
More videos from Wide Open Spaces:
4. Antlers increase in size year after year.
5. Antlers grow very fast leading to studies on rapid cellular growth.
6. Bull elk not only use their antlers to fight against an opponent, but also against predators.
7. Bull elk fights typically occur for dominance over the harem, a group of females.
8. A bull will often leave the fight with battle scars.
9. Or he won’t leave the fight at all.
10. If you ever witness one of these battles, you will never forget it.
Looks like these two bulls are trying to find out who’s taller…